Matoke Tours unique Omutti project
Fly climate neutral to your destination in Africa!
Discovering new countries has a lot to offer! Through Matoke Tours you come in contact with the beautiful African landscapes, the animal kingdom and the many different cultures. Tourism – if done sustainably – has much to offer to a country. It creates jobs, income for the population and can raise the standard of living. But tourism also has downsides, for example flying to Africa has a negative impact on the environment.
Matoke Tours is a leader in sustainable tourism. In addition to various social projects we are launching our first ‘environmental’ project ‘Omutti’.
‘Omutti’ means ’Tree’ in Luganda; the most common local language in Uganda, where the project is based. In a green country like Uganda trees are vital; they are the most important part of the rainforests; the lungs of the earth.
The ‘Omutti’ project adopts trees to preserve the rainforest and to support the local farmers in this area affected by the ever changing climate.
‘Omutti’ is in cooperation with the Murchison-Semliki REDD+. ‘Omutti’ operates in the Murchison-Semliki landscape and focuses on the corridor that connects two of Uganda’s rainforests; Kibale Forest and Budongo Forest.
When you book your trip with Matoke Tours – to any of our destinations – Matoke Tours will donate US$ 5 per person to the Omutti project*.
With this donation, you will fly climate neutral to your destination in Africa regardless of the airline you are flying with.
Together with Matoke Tours you contribute on the preservation the rainforest in Africa!
* Effective on all new bookings from January 1st 2017 onwards
Why is Omutti Unique?
1. ‘Omutti’ does not plant new trees, but adopts trees / parts of the rainforest. In this way Omutti supports the local farmers. This makes the project more efficient and effective than many other initiatives to make your fight carbon-neutral where they plant new trees. When you plant new young trees after they have been logged it takes at least 20 years to grow. Omutti protect the existing rainforest and the animals living in the rainforest from disappearing.
2. Omutti focuses on Africa. The donation goes directly to the preservation of the rainforest in Uganda, as we operate in Africa!
3. Omutti has no extra costs: 100% of the donation goes directly to the local farmers and herewith the preservation of the rainforests.
4. Omutti is a transparent project. The results can easily be seen by the amount of land adopted by Omutti and amount of local farmers benefitting from the project. We can show this by inviting you to see the results of the project when booked on your tour in Uganda with us.
Visit and donate to the project yourself
You can visit Matoke Tours 'Omutti' project by booking your tour with Matoke Tours to Uganda. The 'Omutti' project is based in between Murchison Falls NP and Kibale Forest NP.
Matoke Tours donates an extra $20 dollar per person to this project when you visit it during your tour; this will be on top of the $5 per person Matoke Tours already donates.
You will take a look in the area where 'Omutti' works, you wil see how the project is monitored and you will meet the local farmers.
You can as well donate to this project yourself. Please mail Matoke Tours to ask for information about this.
Please click here for more detailed information about 'Omutti'.